petdoctor

A Cornelia veterinarian explores rich memories of becoming a veterinarian, her veterinary education,and people and places along the way. Gain insights into the daily life of a small animal veterinarian in northeast Georgia.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Stay Informed About Nutrition

Veterinarians are fortunate because we are taught to recognize diet & nutrition as a possible contributing factor to many disease states in pets. We incorporate nutritional knowledge into the diagnoses we made each day.

No where is this more evident than in many exotic species where the owner may not be as informed or as up to date on the nutritional requirements of their new pet as we would like them to be.

Nutrition is an exciting, ever changing science making it a very intriguing hobby. One of which I have enjoyed for many years. This Christmas I gave everyone books on nutrition. I do not want to change everyone's eating habits, I just want everyone to be informed in order to make their own decisions about what they will and will not eat. I could never forgive myself if I gained valuable nutritional knowledge that is life changing and failed to make the information available to my friends & family.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta has researched the plant based diet (for humans) for the past year and is presenting a CNN Special tomorrow night (8/21/2011) at 8:00PM eastern time, "The Last Heart Attack" . All our clients want to know what kind of diet I am following. Well, this is it. I follow the style of eating proposed by Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyne, Jr. of the Cleveland Clinic. This is how I eat & how I have fed my family since October, 2010. If you have time, check out the CNN Special. It doesn't hurt to be informed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home