petdoctor

A Cornelia veterinarian explores rich memories of becoming a veterinarian, her veterinary education,and people and places along the way. Gain insights into the daily life of a small animal veterinarian in northeast Georgia.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Hairballs 'r Us

As I email Jennifer, my protege studying veterinary medicine in the Cayman Islands at St Matthews College of VeterinaryMedicine, I cannot help but remember the friends I made while in veterinary college that remain truly good friends today.

Recently, I spoke with Dr. Douglas Piper. He was inquiring about my Sound Technologies ultrasound machine. Doug and I were partners in anatomy lab, and we thought we would never survive that first year. I'm sure I'll be writing much about that year. It has been a long time since I have seen Doug. He established a veterinary hospital in Fort Myers, Florida where his father practiced for many, many years.

If you have a pet with keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eye), you may be treating it with an ophthalmic drug developed by one of my classmates.

Dr. Pat Lane always said she would have a cat hospital, and it would be named Hairballs 'r Us. Well, she does have a feline hospital in Marietta, but she failed to follow through on the name. Years ago, I visited Pat in North Carolina where she was practicing & urged her to join me in practice in Cornelia, but she declined. The big city was calling , and she was still dreaming of Hairballs 'r Us.

A classmate who shall remain nameless married my very dear friend. At our recent 25th class reunion, she related the fact that her husband had given her a very unique birthday present. With their family complete with four boys, they had mutually decided that the afore mentioned classmate would make an appointment with a surgeon for a vasectomy. Upon consulting the surgeon, he decided the fees were too expensive and furthermore, he decided to perform his own vasectomy with local anesthesia. Mind you, this surgery was performed by a person who had to take a break during junior surgery to prevent fainting.

1 Comments:

  • At January 29, 2008, Blogger Unknown said…

    I still can't believed he performed his own vasectomy. The motivation had to be saving money.
    But that didn't make me feel guilty about the money spend on epidurals I had birthing all those babies. It's been a fun and surprising marriage.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home