petdoctor

A Cornelia veterinarian explores rich memories of becoming a veterinarian, her veterinary education,and people and places along the way. Gain insights into the daily life of a small animal veterinarian in northeast Georgia.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Tea with James Herriot

During my last year of veterinary college while I was at Watkinson & Naish, Veterinary Surgeons, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, James Herriot's latest book, James Herriot's Yorkshire was being proofed. The author, Mr. Alf Wight, often telephoned Jack to verify a place or point of interest. Since I was there in a professional veterinary capacity, I tried to be nonchalant about all the attention the area was receiving due to the immense popularity of the BBC television series All Creatures Great &Small, but I have to admit I was impressed when Jack Watkinson invited me along for the day to assist him on the set.

All the actors and BBC staff were especially nice to me. Christopher Timothy who played James Herriot invited me to have tea with him while he was being interviewed by a member of the press. I told him about the article in the Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA) which mentioned him, and he was knocked out. That particular issue had just come out before I left for England so I took it along to give to Mr. Watkinson.

That day was quite an experience. I shall always remember it. Later that evening, there was an emergency veterinary call, and I accompanied Nick. Since we were passing his local pub on the way home, we popped in because he was quite attached to his "local", and he wanted to share it with me. Upon entering, Nick was a little put off because there were so many strangers about. Everyone was calling out "Hello, Linda"--"How was your day."--"What did you think of the filming?" They were all BBC people. Nick was so upset. He couldn't believe that I could come from halfway around the world, visit his local and everyone there would know me. It was too much for him. He continued to kid me about this for days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home