petdoctor

A Cornelia veterinarian explores rich memories of becoming a veterinarian, her veterinary education,and people and places along the way. Gain insights into the daily life of a small animal veterinarian in northeast Georgia.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Live Your Dreams

The thing I remember most about my friends in England was they were each fulfilling their dreams in their work. Philip would come home after playing for hours on stage & reach for his guitar & play to relax. He loved his work. I knew I had to find a career that I could love like that. One that I could do day & night if needed.

After moving to the farm in Banks County, I finally found my heart's desire--to work with animals. I began seeking advice about becoming a veterinarian, and I found very little encouragement. This was not really a field open to females at the time. In fact when I made an appointment with the associate dean at UGA's College of Veterinary Medicine, I was told "I would never be accepted to veterinary school over a 21 year old male". That was a shock, but I refused to be discouraged. I knew I had to have a strong case for acceptance if I was going to make it.

I received encouragement from Dr. Smith in South Carolina and from Kenneth Bridges in Oconee County. Both worked with me in the Southeastern Shorthorn Association. Kenneth wrote one of my recommendations. Occasionally, he & his wife stop to visit on their way to the mountains, and I shall always remember his help & encouragement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home