petdoctor

A Cornelia veterinarian explores rich memories of becoming a veterinarian, her veterinary education,and people and places along the way. Gain insights into the daily life of a small animal veterinarian in northeast Georgia.

Monday, August 27, 2007

You Are What You Eat. That Goes for Pets, Too.

Eating a wholesome, nutritious, unadulterated diet is a constant challenge, and even more so if you are a vegetarian. It is very important to count those grams of protein when following a soy, legume, and vegetable diet.

I am not advocating a vegetarian diet for dogs and cats, but I do follow one myself. Considering my lifestyle, and the way I view the world, it is what works best for me. Everyone asks my husband and sons if they are also vegetarians, and usually they respond "vegetarians by default", meaning they eat what I prepare.

Feeding our pets is the biggest challenge of all with the pet food and pet treat recalls. The most recent pet treat recall being last Thursday (8/23/07). My advice is to feed a premium diet, the best your family budget will allow, and question the manufacturer about the source of raw products and where they were processed. Also, inquire what safeguards they are taking to protect your pet.

I am asking pet food manufacturers these same questions. I will let you know what my research reveals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home