petdoctor

A Cornelia veterinarian explores rich memories of becoming a veterinarian, her veterinary education,and people and places along the way. Gain insights into the daily life of a small animal veterinarian in northeast Georgia.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Procedures that Take Years off Your Life

Everyday in veterinary medicine is different & challenging. Monday was certainly one of those days. A 15 year old feline was scheduled for a dental procedure. This was not an ordinary procedure. The canine tooth had an exposed nerve, and the patient was not eating anything. This was one very painful mouth. The owner was allowing me to do this procedure as a last resort because he did not want this kitty enduring the risks of general anesthesia, and rightly so.

I did all the pre-anesthetic tests including an EKG because of the presence of a heart murmur. The cardiologist recommended chest radiographs and postponement of general anesthesia due to preventricular contractions (PVCs). The chest radiographs looked very good--I was surprised. Did I mention this kitty had other medical problems as well? Lots of them.

In spite of all the contraindications, I knew I had to get that painful tooth out if this patient was ever going to eat again. The entire hospital was involved in this procedure. It was tense. Emergency drugs were reviewed and standing ready. An IV catheter was placed and fluids were running. Upon induction of anesthesia, a full range of monitoring equipment was being employed. The patient did beautifully. Five very severely resorbed teeth had to be surgically extracted, and the gingiva sutured. The surgery was going much longer than planned, but the patient continued to do well. Even though there was more work to be completed in the mouth, I chose to recover the patient & postpone further dental surgery for another time.

The procedure could not have gone better. The patient recovered rapidly.

Tuesday morning he was reaching out of his cage playing with anyone who would give him attention. It is a miracle we (the patient & me) made it through yesterday. Everytime I give so much of myself in a procedure, I know it takes at least one year off my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home