petdoctor

A Cornelia veterinarian explores rich memories of becoming a veterinarian, her veterinary education,and people and places along the way. Gain insights into the daily life of a small animal veterinarian in northeast Georgia.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A Ford Pick-up & Very Little Gas

My senior year at veterinary college, my husband was on a mid-western tour, and I had my hands full. One particular night I received a call that a ewe we owned had problems, and I needed to come get her. She was still on the farm where we had purchased her. It was around midnight. I telephoned one of the large animal interns that knew about sheep. Lucky for me he was on call that night. He said he would give me a hand if I could get her down to the University so I headed over to Hall County to pick her up. I was driving an old Ford pick-up, and my gas was low. There was no place open at that hour to purchase gasoline so I had to keep driving & hoping for the best. When that old truck registered "empty", believe me it was empty. I was so furious that I was in such a situation, but there was nothing to do except keep driving.

The ewe & I arrived at the Veterinary College around 2:30 AM. The intern was waiting for us. We cleaned the prolapsed tissue, gently pushed it back into proper position and sutured the vagina to prevent another prolapse. I returned home accompanied by the ewe. Unloaded her, and made sure she was comfortable. Then, I had a shower, hoped into my car & headed back to school. I was on Small Animal Medicine rotation and could not be late for duty.

No one had any idea I had been up all night. It was a challenge, but the scariest thing was that gas gauge. No doubt, I was navigating on fumes when I got home that morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home