petdoctor

A Cornelia veterinarian explores rich memories of becoming a veterinarian, her veterinary education,and people and places along the way. Gain insights into the daily life of a small animal veterinarian in northeast Georgia.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Veterinary Dentistry

I can remember my first veterinary dental presentation. It was in the 1980's and was presented to the Northeast Georgia Veterinary Medical Association. The UGA College of Veterinary Medicine assisted with my title slides. The slides were a little strange, but I appreciated their help, and there was no charge.

Immediately, I realized the need for professional title slides. I found a company in Atlanta that did a great job, but it was quite expensive. I progressed rapidly from local area veterinary groups to the national veterinary meetings: the First World Veterinary Dental Congress, the World Small Animal Veterinary Congress, the American Association of Animal Hospitals (AAHA), the British Small Animal Medical Association Meeting, the North American Veterinary Medical Conference, the Dental Forum, etc.

The first big presentation, I filled in for Dr. Jean Hawkins at the San Francisco AAHA meeting, and it was exciting. I will always remember that presentation. I must have done well because Dr. Hawkins and I remain really great friends, and that was over 16 years ago.

Title slides and 35mm slides are becoming a thing of the past. They have been replaced by digital pictures and Power Point, and is it easier? Oh, yes, it is far, far easier. Of course, I have to get help, like every 15 minutes, from my IT adviser, my youngest son.

The most recent presentation was a lecture/lab at Lake City Veterinary Hospital in Acworth, Georgia(May 20). The staff there made me feel welcome, and I know they will continue to enjoy all their new IM3 dental equipment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home