petdoctor

A Cornelia veterinarian explores rich memories of becoming a veterinarian, her veterinary education,and people and places along the way. Gain insights into the daily life of a small animal veterinarian in northeast Georgia.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Miss America

Joan, my very dear friend of many years, is now retired from the BBC, but she arranged my veterinary externship in Yorkshire. Originally, she had contacted Alf Wight (James Herriot), but he wanted me to be there for the month of February. Now, that wouldn't be lambing season? But those dates did not fit my school schedule. I had to be there in late August into September. This prompted Joan to contact Jack Watkinson of Watkinson & Naish. Joan knew Mr. Watkinson as the veterinary advisor to the BBC series All Creatures Great and Small.

I received a great letter from Jack, and I promptly accepted his offer of an externship. I met so many great people while in the Yorkshire Dales. Many with whom I maintain contact and always visit when in that part of the world.

My very last day at Watkinson & Naish, the receptionist Karen asked if I knew what everyone called me before I arrived at the practice? I didn't know what she was talking about.
She pushed the day book across her desk toward me, and there were the messages the veterinary surgeons had left each other. "When is Miss America actually arriving?"
"Miss America arrives this Tuesday week." "Do not forget Miss America arrives tomorrow."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home