petdoctor

A Cornelia veterinarian explores rich memories of becoming a veterinarian, her veterinary education,and people and places along the way. Gain insights into the daily life of a small animal veterinarian in northeast Georgia.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Locked Out In Leyburn,North Yorkshire

The Golden Lion is a pub in the center of Leyburn, and it was my home while I was "seeing practice" at Watkinson & Naish Veterinary Surgeons. I made lifelong friends during my time in the Yorkshire Dales. Ian Burdon of Jervaulx Abbey, Mr. Nick Naish, and Mr. Jack Watkinson (The veterinary advisor on site to the BBC famous television series "All Creatures Great And Small".)

One evening I was enjoying drinks with Karen (the receptionist at the veterinary surgery) and Ian and several of their friends at a pub way out on the moors. The pub was so isolated that it stretched the closing hours a bit, and I was quite late returning to Leyburn. The Golden Lion was dark and tightly locked. Bravely, I knocked on the door. The upper window was thrown open, and the Publican stuck his head, covered with a old fashioned night cap, out the window. I was extremely embarrassed to create such a bother at this late hour. As the door was opened for me, I mumbled my apology and commented upon the strong winds blowing that night.

The Publican's only comment, "Twas a shame it wasn't blowing a bit harder behind your back."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home